Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mersey - 12th May  (Read 371 times)

robjones

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 20
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 0
Mersey - 12th May
« on: May 13, 2018, 06:23:51 am »
Plenty of fish around Devonport, even though temp has dropped to 14deg. Thought we would try for a late season snapper off Lillico. As we were launching, another boat coming in had plenty of large salmon caught around the island. We had no fresh bait for the snapper, and this guy gratuitously gave us one of his coutta to use.
We normally troll some plastics along the east Devonport break wall when heading out - there were a couple of boats around the last beacon. When we got there just before the beacon, we saw some good bait returns on the sounder, and soon hooked up with some nice Taylor. We hung around until we had half a dozen when headed around to Lillico. We havenít fished much around here before, so we spend a bit of time checking out the bottom, eventually anchoring and starting the burley trail on what we thought was a potential snapper bottom in about 10m of water.
Nothing much prior to sunset apart from the standard gurnard and port Jackson catch, and a nonstandard cuttlefish that helped out bait supply. I have a fairly strong led light I left on to see what we could attract to the boat - ended up attracting masses of bait, followed by makerel, large salmon, squid and even a 5 or 6 foot 7 gill shark. We didnít have any heavy gear on board, but dropped a Taylor on a mako rig on one of the larger egg beaters. He ended up eating every part of the bait except the part with the hook !!
Managed to land a mackerel and squid, but very hard to get. All the fish were certainly in turbo mode smashing the bait and not interested in any of our offerings.
We didnít get our target catch, but had a very interesting trip. My nephews came back with a live 6Ē squid, a 2cm cuttlefish plus a few others they managed to hand net which kept them busy for the night.
Weather is looking pretty good for this afternoon so might try for some salmon around the island.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2189
  • -Receive: 867
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
Mersey - 12th May
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 09:35:57 pm »
You may not have got the species you targeted but still good to see you still managed a few fish, the nephews enjoyed the time out there which was good to see..

cheers
Adrian
'' Mepps Spin Fishing Guru"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal