Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Derwent Flatties  (Read 969 times)

B.Marriott

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 95
  • Liked: 0
  • Wake up with a line in the water
  • Referrals: 0
Derwent Flatties
« on: May 03, 2018, 06:53:53 pm »
Few flatchaps taken at dusk today on the orange tassie devil. The aim was to 1. take the dog for a decent walk and 2. try catch a tailor. I fished at a spot "the little jetty with the building on it" where my mate had caught some before, I did only have luck with flatties tonight but I did see a promising sign when a silver flash  hit the surface in the shallows. It's only about a foot deep, although it has good tidal flow and I have a feeling they would be there...

Blake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

proka

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 617
  • -Receive: 392
  • Liked: 1
  • Referrals: 19
    • Fishing Boating Tasmania
Derwent Flatties
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 11:44:58 pm »
Nice work Blake. Using the old “I’m taking the dog for a walk” trick laugh1

Do the flatties go home for a feed think1

proka
What has 4,882km's of coastline? think1

B.Marriott

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Derwent Flatties
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 10:32:34 am »
Aha It's a win win for both of us. Let the flathead go, I don't tend to eat them from that deep in the Derwent.

Blake

WazzaB

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 34
  • It didn't get away - I just released it early
Derwent Flatties
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 10:47:20 pm »
Nice flatties Blake.  Good photos too. They look like healthy solid fish. You seem to do pretty well using the "Tassie Devils" - I've never tried them - do you just use cast and retrieve as per other lures or is there are special trick to using them.  I know they troll them for trout but it would appear they catch all types of fish.     
I wouldn't worry about eating a few - a different story if they were Bream.
Cheers
Warren
Warren

B.Marriott

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Derwent Flatties
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 07:31:48 pm »
Nice flatties Blake.  Good photos too. They look like healthy solid fish. You seem to do pretty well using the "Tassie Devils" - I've never tried them - do you just use cast and retrieve as per other lures or is there are special trick to using them.  I know they troll them for trout but it would appear they catch all types of fish.     
I wouldn't worry about eating a few - a different story if they were Bream.
Cheers
Warren

Hi Warren

I retrieve them very similarly to a sliver slice, the action of the lure seems to do the rest. I normally add a little running sinker if I'm fishing for flathead as it gets the lure down deeper. I just like them because I find I don't catch as many wrasse, the lure is moving too fast for them so you tend to only hook up on more fish like salmon, tailor or couta if you know what I mean. I like the fluro colours for salt water the most but there's plenty of naturals in the range just depends on what colour you like I guess.

Blake

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal