Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Eaglehawk Neck  (Read 695 times)

mahimahi

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 17
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 1
Eaglehawk Neck
« on: April 21, 2018, 08:51:36 pm »
Hi all,

My past two recent trips to EHN have been far from fruitful.

I've a 4.3 runnabout and don't generally fish too far from the coastline anyways...I tried my usual spots (during Easter) around Waterfall Bay and caught 'stuff all'.

I would (not long ago) be able to catch a bag limit of perch (morwong) and good amounts of large flathead. Seems that the commercial trawlers have gutted the area. I know this because on one of my trips their was a commercial trawler dragging a net around the entrance to waterfall bay. 1st drop I nabbed a 2kg perch then bugger all for the next 4 hours. Even tried Pirates bay where one could at the very least catch a feed but also bugger all.

These trawlers are taking juvenile perch which often school near the bottom and anything else that's around leaving f _ _ k all for us recreational fishers  censored1

Beggers belief why these commercial trawlers are permitted to operate so close to shore.

Large Australian salmon also used to frequent pirates bay but these days you'd be lucky to land a cocky salmon. Aussie salmon are now targeted (using spotter planes), commercially, particularly around Marion Bay resulting in little or no large adult fish reaching pirates bay.

Unlikely I'll be heading back to EHN soon.

proka

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 616
  • -Receive: 390
  • Liked: 1
  • Referrals: 19
    • Fishing Boating Tasmania
Eaglehawk Neck
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 10:34:33 pm »
I don’t think you’re the only one MM. Going by recent reports there’s not that much about at the moment. Still a few late season albies but the blues have slowed down considerably compare to last year.

Wouldn’t of thought the trawlers would worry the perch stocks though as there’d keep way from any known rocky bottom.

Don’t let it dishearten you. If you’re not there you’re not catching laugh1

We’ve all had trips like this thumbsup1

proka
What has 4,882km's of coastline? think1

mahimahi

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 17
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 1
Eaglehawk Neck