Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fortescue Bay  (Read 978 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1475
  • -Receive: 615
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 14
Fortescue Bay
« on: April 04, 2018, 10:54:28 am »
We headed down to Fortescue Bay for the annual family camping trip. Weather wasn't the best, but it held out and was nice to get away from everything for a while.

Didn't do a lot of fishing, and most of the fishing I did do was for the kids and to ensure that they all got the chance of catching a fish or two.

Spent an hour with my daughters boyfriend Curtis at the lagoon catching and releasing some of the juvenile bream in there. Saw some big Aust Salmon leaping out of the water, but they didn't like the look of me I don't think.

The following day Curtis' family came for a visit so we took his little brother and sister fishing in the lagoon again. Happy to say that all the kids got the chance to catch and release at least one fish each. I assisted with baiting and replacing lost gear for most of the time, but seeing the kids catching some bream up to about 20cm on 2kg gear and light rods was worth it. The light rods ensured that the fight was always going to be more fun than normal.

We headed up to the jetty after dark and a couple of monster squid were hooked and lost. In hindsight, walking them to the boat ramp would have been the best option.

On the Sunday there was a school of big Aust Salmon leaping out in the bay again and we went to have some fun with them. Again, the aim was to give everyone a chance to land a fish or two. My father in law and I did the casting and the fish were smashing the lures almost as soon as they hit the water. Rods were then handed to anyone that wanted to have a go. We kept 5 fish, all about 2.5-3kgs. I think we released about twice that number as well.

Still got another week before heading to work, so might have a night floundering and squidding before I head back, wether being kind!

Here is Curtis with his first big Aust Salmon. The grin says it all!

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 514
  • -Receive: 462
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
Fortescue Bay
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 07:09:29 am »
Great times, Chris.  Sambos are pretty good sport at that kind of size, aren't they?  And well done putting the kids onto some bream - also great fun on light tackle.  Dunno about walking your squid up the boat ramp, though: there always used to be a WHOMPING great stingray hanging about there.  It got huge feeding on the waste from loads of guys cleaning fish (and in some cases, dumping surplus catch!).  Did you see any sign of it while you were there?

B.Marriott

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 95
  • Wake up with a line in the water
Fortescue Bay
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 10:38:13 am »
Great times, Chris.  Sambos are pretty good sport at that kind of size, aren't they?  And well done putting the kids onto some bream - also great fun on light tackle.  Dunno about walking your squid up the boat ramp, though: there always used to be a WHOMPING great stingray hanging about there.  It got huge feeding on the waste from loads of guys cleaning fish (and in some cases, dumping surplus catch!).  Did you see any sign of it while you were there?

That skate is living the good life, looks like it came from prehistoric years. It's nearly the size of a bus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spinksy

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 15
Fortescue Bay
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 02:33:12 pm »
That ray has been there as long as I can remember, there also used to be a decent sized eel that lived under the jetty that would come out for a wander off an evening as well. Fortescue is definitely a great spot! Fantastic for kids.

Chris

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1475
  • -Receive: 615
  • Referrals: 14
Fortescue Bay
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 07:07:28 am »
It was a great time for sure. No sign of the ray while we were at the jetty, but it was still around according to the people we spoke to.

At least if I walked it around to the ramp I would have had a chance getting it out of the water. I might need to rethink my squid gear for thsi time of year when the big ones are about.... think1

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal