Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: cephalopod morning NW Bay! (74)  (Read 817 times)

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 480
  • -Receive: 434
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
cephalopod morning NW Bay! (74)
« on: March 21, 2018, 01:59:49 pm »
After several days of wind, I crawled out this morning with the temp at my place at 0 deg(!!) to have a fish in North-West Bay.

Nice overcast morning, very little breeze, water temp 16.5 so I headed off to a favourite squid spot.  Boated three good calamari with 26-30cm hoods, and dropped a couple more solid ones that made long runs (a bit unusual) then dropped the jig.  I figured this was enough for a meal or two, so when a couple of Gould's squid ("arrows") came aboard, I deftly retrieved the jig and put the squid back to fight another day.

Then tried  a few spots for flathead, and as usual there were plenty of undersize ones, but only managed three keepers.  BUT: also had three separate occasions where I brought little octopuses to the surface hanging on to the soft plastic!

So all in all, a fair sort of morning out.  Good signs pointing to flathead for the future, and the cepahlopods (calamari, Gould's squid, and occies) are obviously all still about in good numbers.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 07:46:09 am by Chris »

WazzaB

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 31
  • It didn't get away - I just released it early
cephalopod morning NW Bay!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 06:18:53 pm »
I'm a bit surprised that the Calamari are still around as well.  Still a few about at South Arm as well.  The last couple of years they have been gone by the end of February so I thought that was normal but is it the norm or not?  Not that I will ever complain about them still being around - I have found this year to be my best catches ever.

Down south here I thought it was Calamari from about late October to mid/end of February then Arrows for a month and then the big wait again from mid March till October.

Well done on getting out and about with all the crappy weather hanging around - hopefully we will get some good days throughout the Easter break when my kids and Grandkids are down again.
Cheers
Warren
Warren

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 480
  • -Receive: 434
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 06:02:07 am »
Still some calamari to be had last year to at least the end of March.  A couple of reports on this board mentioned Dover and Bull Bay (Bruny Island).  Also still around Bicheno in July.

Chris

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1475
  • -Receive: 615
  • Referrals: 14
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 07:31:17 am »
The big ones will be around for a while to come yet. Just harder to get and in fewer numbers. Plus harder to find the right conditions to target them as the weather changes as well.

Nice work though Paul. Not unusual for the larger squid to fight back and then drop the jig. They are a little more clever and they probably had hold of it around the body rather than the hook end.

Spinksy

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 02:54:04 pm »
Hi all,

A couple of years ago, a mate and I had a great afternoon in late May on the calamari round in Bull Bay............one of those still autumn afternoons, that hopefully we will get a few more of soon!!

And I've caught some big ones in the middle of winter off the Adventure Bay jetty.

I think there numbers definitely fall away, but they are still about, you just need to look a bit harder.

Cheers
Spinksy

B.Marriott

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
  • Wake up with a line in the water
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 07:51:57 pm »
The above guys have said it well, the numbers decrease but the big squid are still there for those who put the work in. In these colder times I also find I stick to a couple certain colours which i find always work. The White Shimano Jig is normally my go to winter jig[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

proka

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 616
  • -Receive: 390
  • Liked: 1
  • Referrals: 19
    • Fishing Boating Tasmania
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 07:27:58 pm »