Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gummies are alive and well in the Derwent. (71)  (Read 933 times)

Makers Mark

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 10
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 0
Gummies are alive and well in the Derwent. (71)
« on: March 15, 2018, 06:53:41 am »
I headed out on Saturday morning for a quiet fish.
I needed a break from work and my boat had been looking at me all week and saying I need a bath, please give me a bath.
The day started out slow, very slow. I think the fish must have gone up the coast for the long weekend.
I moved into Ralph's Bay where I started to catch plenty of undersized flatties with only a couple of sized ones for the frying pan.
Then in the space of 3/4hr I caught and (reluctantly) released 5 Gummies all between 1 and 1.5m in length.
They obviously liked my squid bait more than the flat chaps.
Whilst I understand and agree with the sanctuary areas, on a slow days fishing it was with regret that I returned all 5 of the succulent, mouth watering flake back to water.
The day ended with a stop over for some squid and a lesurely wander home back down the Derwent.
All told it was a beautiful peaceful day on the water with 5 flatties and 3 calamari for dinner.
Much Better than working or washing the car or cleaning the house or working in the garden
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 07:45:32 am by Chris »

Pedro

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
Gummies are alive and well in the Derwent.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 05:16:41 pm »
Seems to be plenty of Gummies about again this year.Sometimes I think that the restrictions on taking them from sanctuarys could be relaxed slightly.Say a tagging system,similar to deer,whereby you are allowed 2 tags per year.This would allow shore based and those without a bigger boat to at least get a feed of flake.I wouldn't mind paying a sum of money and that money could be used on fish research or something similar.

mahimahi

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 05:44:08 pm »
Like your idea, I'd be happy to pay an annual fee that contributes to shark research if I could take a few gummies

Makers Mark

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 11:07:30 pm »
I have to admit that I find it funny that my kids (15 and 17) find it appalling that the pristine waters that they want to swim in have sharks in it.

I'm all for growing the fish stocks but it's hard throwing back good eating fish. (ie 1m gummies)
Undersized flatties, seriously anything under 32cm isn't even worth the effort. There's not enough meat to bother with.
I'd like to think that my grandkids can fish in the waters that I did when I was a kid.

But there has definately been a BIG depletion of fish stocks since I grew up.  I'd like to see the fish return to there plentiful level of the 90's

Enough of my soapbox rant

Keep fishing Makers Mark

Chris

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1475
  • -Receive: 615
  • Referrals: 14
Gummies are alive and well in the Derwent. (71)
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 08:02:16 am »
Thanks for the report.

I understand the frustrations regarding the gummy sharks, the frustration is that the easily accessible areas are where people find these fish and on a slow day it hurts infinitely more. The fact is that these areas are also the prime breeding areas for the fish.

I personally have no issues with the closed areas for the fish to breed and increase stocks. I am a shore based fisherman and there are only few areas I can go to target gummy sharks from around Hobart, this just means I have to work harder. Those with boats can duck out into Storm Bay and target them along Calverts and Hopes beaches or around Bruny Island or around Nubeena on the other side with good results and you don't have to head out too far, just hug the shoreline.

The tag idea is a good initiative, but the reality is that the current sanctuary system is abused by a small group of people who plead ignorance of it and if we allow for a tag system, I can guarantee you that a few more will use that as further excuse to illegally take fish from these areas.

In short, as a fisherman, it is frustrating to catch and have to release quality table fish for sure. But I would rather work harder knowing that there is a reasonable chance I can grab the odd gummy for the table from outside the sanctuary and the resource has a fighting chance than the alternative of seeing the fish stocks decimated and less fish available overall.

Just my two cents. I will go back into my box now.

Cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal