Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: mediocre Marion Bay (66)  (Read 1082 times)

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 514
  • -Receive: 462
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
mediocre Marion Bay (66)
« on: March 06, 2018, 05:01:03 pm »
'Struth, Ruth: just come back from a day on Marion Bay (well, half a day, really, as it's an hour and a half drive each way for us), and NOT HAPPY, JAN!

Merlene (my bettter half) and I decided we'd had enough of faffing about in our local waters for mixed, and decidedly ordinary, results, so set out this morning for a session on Marion Bay.  Should be some decent flatties, we thought.  Maybe also Aus salmon; squid?; who knows?

Well, we spent serious effort on any number of spots that have yielded many, many flatties in the past - result?: two barely keeper size, and one miserable hungry Gould's squid ("arrow") that took a liking to the soft plastic and simply would not let go.

We saw seals, gannets, white bellied sea-eagle, pelicans, egrets (on the oyster flats in Blackman Bay), and had a wonderful day in the sunshine with water temp around 16.5 deg, and the breeze only slight (just enough for decent drifts).  But the fishing was, as they say, CRAP!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 07:42:40 am by Chris »

Rusty1

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
  • Referrals: 0
mediocre Marion Bay
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 08:03:07 pm »
Yes it is crap out there at the moment. A couple of weeks or so ago you would hardly have to measure a fish - and that goes for FHB - but in the last week everybody I know has found it bloody near impossible to catch size fish
Last Friday a mate who is the best fish catcher I know covered FHB and didn't bring a fish home
Yesterday another mate did the passage and Hellfire for a few just size ones ...
I've got free time next few days and the weather looks good but I'm staying at home ...

sid01

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 14
  • Referrals: 1
mediocre Marion Bay
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 08:17:22 pm »
We got plenty of sized flatty's out of cremorne today no breeze so heaps of the old dog sharks as well lol.
But there are a lot of under size fish about we were pulling in 3 at a time for no sized fish and we got 6 or 7 king flat head as well

proka

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 617
  • -Receive: 392
  • Liked: 1
  • Referrals: 19
    • Fishing Boating Tasmania
mediocre Marion Bay
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 05:38:17 am »
They’re further up the Passage outside Chinamans atm. We couldn’t find many further down. Hardly had to throw any away this weekend grin1
What has 4,882km's of coastline? think1

mahimahi

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
  • Referrals: 1
mediocre Marion Bay (66)
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 01:11:05 pm »
Can also be quite productive around the oyster beds

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal