Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Blackberry bushes, are they out of control??  (Read 814 times)

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2272
  • -Receive: 910
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
Blackberry bushes, are they out of control??
« on: January 08, 2018, 05:19:27 pm »
I don't know about you but everywhere I go I come across massive areas covered in blackberry bushes that were once beautiful fern covered areas. Every so often I send photos into the Advocate and so far no one there seems interested in the problem neither does the state government or local councils as none of them bother to reply either.. The photos I have posted here are just a few examples of what it's like in and around the Beaulah/Kimberley/Liena areas to mention a few. They getting worse each year and access to many rivers I fish are not impossible to reach. I can't imagine what the wildlife has to put up with either trying to make their way through them either.. It's a bloody disgrace really and it's time the councils & Gov got off their arses and take a good look at what's happening to this beautiful state of ours.. I have noticed that it's pretty out of control in many of the neglected hardwood plantations too.. So have you encountered any problems with blackberry bushes when you've been out and about or fishing a river..
cheers
Adrian..
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Tackle Tactics, Mepps, Okuma & Platypus lines Pro Team Member..

Paddlefish Tasmania

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 96
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 06:03:30 pm »
youd have to pretty much poison or level the areas to get rid of them then that's till no guarantee.

Million's of dollars would have to be spent.   Getting the government to care is near on impossible as there's no money in it for them

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 521
  • -Receive: 469
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 05:53:36 am »
Mate, don't get me started on environmental weeds!

Blackberries are only one of MANY.  The list includes broom (both "English" and "Canary" types), gorse, spanish heath, african boneseed, lupin, tree lucerne, foxglove, ragwort, morning glory, several types of thistle, crack willow, and even some types of Australian plants such as the Cape Leeuwin and Cootamundra wattles.  Oh, and radiata pine: have you noticed how that spreads itself all through the bush?

Every one of them is detrimental to wildlife - either by ruining its habitat, or by direct toxic effects on the animals/birds themselves.

Every one is rife in various areas of the state, often on land that is either state or a local council's responsibility.  They also occur on private land.  A council can order you, as a landowner, to get rid of various ones from your land.  But, as you suggest, invariably councils and state do NOTHING about cleaning up their own act. 

My wife and I regularly and constantly draw our local council's attention to the issue, and to outbreaks of all sorts as we come across them.  The local NRM officer knows us well.  As and when they find a bit of money, some of the issues get addressed, a little.  The trouble is, the problem is already way bigger than anyone's budget can cope with.  I don't know what the answer is...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal