Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why not Post?  (Read 1853 times)

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 142
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 1
Why not Post?
« on: November 19, 2017, 11:15:15 am »
Why not post?  anyone1

For many years before joining FBT I posted on a very popular NSW Forum until I fell out with the owners of the site for challenging their ruling on the content of one of my posts. A tough call but who owns the site makes the rules.   oops1

One thing that the NSW site has in its favour is that a very high percentage of members regularly post to the point where the latest Forum topics rarely last more than a week or so before they are replaced with a new topic. That of course is what makes the site so good. It is constantly being refreshed.   cool1

By contrast since joining FBT in December 2016 I have noticed that only a small number of members regularly post on the site. With the result that the most recent posts on a number of topics go back as far as 2016 (5 X Topics), 2015 (6 X Topics) 2014 (6 X Topics) and even 2013 (3 X topics).   think1 think1

So out of 52 Topics, 20 (or 38%) have been inactive for at least 12 months.   notworking1

Given that fishing in Tassie is so much better than NSW and a lot of Tasmanians regularly go fishing (and like outdoor activities) what is stopping members from posting? It can’t be that people do not read the posts for clearly the record shows otherwise. Nor should it be that members lack confidence to write of their experience, we all started with rough reports and gradually learned how to polish them. In the meantime, if we felt that our efforts were not as polished as some the anonymity of our site “Username” stopped anyone identifying us unless we wanted them to. Too easy!  cool1 

I for one enjoy reading everyone’s posts, particularly those from youngsters or new members. And to encourage them I make a point of posting a brief reply even if only to say “thank you” for sharing your experiences with us.   nicethread1

So can I, (respectfully as a fairly new member) appeal to all members to make this site even better than it is by flooding the site with posts of your experiences and thanking those who do post. We are all interested in boats, fishing tackle, fishing history, DIY fishing topics, camping, grandkids, crayfish, (Yum), you name it, and someone will love to read about it.    anyone1 anyone1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1

Finally, I hope that this post will be viewed as a constructive comment and not as any criticism of the site or its members.    thumbsup1 thumbsup1

Cheers

Paikea
PAIKEA

Chris

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1475
  • -Receive: 615
  • Referrals: 14
Why not Post?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 01:43:30 pm »
Thanks for the comments and observations.

For what it is worth, I am happy to pay for additional bandwidth, so go ahead and flood the site with posts grin1

I understand that not everyone feels comfortable with popping up their reports or comments. If there is more that we can do to change this, let me know and we will work on it.

This site has always been here for you guys, not for any of us that started it.

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 516
  • -Receive: 463
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
Why not Post?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 05:07:18 am »
Paikea bear in mind that NSW has a population of 7.5 million, Tas has 0.5 million - so fewer posts is hardly surprising.  That said, I do agree with you.

One other Tasmanian fishing website forum recently closed down completely, and will continue to exist on Facebook only.  Others, I know, are also considering their future.

Seems the nature of communication nowadays means that you can whip out a quick note to Facey from your i-phone still on the water: instant contact, and preferred by so many people who are SOOOO busy, apparently, and can't/won't find a few minutes to sit down at the computer afterwards and compose a post.

Like you, I am "old school", and I know quite a few others on this site are also.

I can only echo your call: keep up the posts and responses, or we may risk losing this fine forum!

Chris

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
Why not Post?
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 06:25:39 am »
Thanks Paul,

Don't forget that the you can use the Tapatalk app to access and use this forum as well. It is quick and easy.

I have many thoughts on why forum are not as popular as Facebook, but I am hardly going to bore everyone with it here boring1

I will say that unless no-one is using it, then we will still be here thumbsup1

That said, is there anything that people would like to see on here? Happy to take suggestions and spend a bit of time on the site again (I have just been swamped at work the past couple of years) I am happy to do it if possible.

Chris

El Barco

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 36
Why not Post?
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 09:28:33 pm »
I think one factor is that it's just so easy to post a report/question/comment to facebook, with text, pics and video all up there in a flash, and feedback from friends following on almost immediately.

In contrast, (even with tapatalk in my limited experience, and I could be wrong about this) it still takes a lot of mucking around. At times on different forums I've typed out long reports and then had to muck around so much editing photos that I've just given up. That photo thing is a killer for me, and there's no point trying to tell me that I should do this or that when fb offers such a simple alternative.

All the same, I still prefer the forums. You don't have to be friends with everyone whose report you read. You might become pals with someone you don't know. You can keep your online fishing life separate from other parts of your life. And there's a moderator whose job it is to weed out comments that fail to meet a standard that everyone who has joined that forum has agreed to.

Sadly though, I think fb has the upper hand at the moment.

Cheers
El Barco

Chris

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
Why not Post?
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 10:17:18 pm »
Thanks for the feedback mate.

I agree, the forum software is not the most user friendly when it comes to editing and adding photos. It is one of the things that I have not liked at all with forum software, but unfortunately our hands are tied a bit there. I will have a look into it though and see what can be done. If I can make it easier, I will do it.

The big advantage that forums have over FB is that things are more ordered and you can browse areas easier and search for information. FB just keeps piling things on and it is not easy to find things from a week or more ago if the page is busy.

And while I like Tapatalk, it too is not that simple to use.

You have got me thinking now, thanks for the feedback!

Cheers

Chris

rogun

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 57
Why not Post?
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 10:23:27 pm »
Hi there,
Introvert, Extrovert,

Me, well I guess I am the first one,

I find it difficult most times to comment on any topic, I am fairly shy and quiet, I tend not to post comments for fear of being judged on content, or mistakes, but I realise this is a choice that I make. I think its called no confidence!

I am old school as I am sure that some others are too, I am not on Facebook, as I have no faith in it and have heard so many stories about it being nothing but trouble, this again I guess is my choice.

I will say this much though, this is the first forum that I have joined, or rather I should say that I have stepped up to the plate and felt able to stay out of sight but still enjoy,

I guess what I am trying to get out is that for my situation, I am glad that I have become a member, I may not post or contribute a great deal,
In my own way I try to get a little involved with chat,
but I rely on this forum and its great members and the interesting content and the reality you all contribute to this site.

Thank you, I hope this site continues to prosper,
 goodjob1 Cheers to all.

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Why not Post?
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 07:33:16 am »
it still takes a lot of mucking around. At times on different forums I've typed out long reports and then had to muck around so much editing photos that I've just given up.

El Barco, I found the same problem with some of my posts that included pics. I now overcome that by typing my long posts in MS Word, then click on Ctrl and C, open the post and click on Ctrl and V. Instant transfer to the post, too easy!.

With pics I find that first transferring the pics that I want to post to my Desktop they are easily accessible to add to my posts. Just go to Attachments and other options at the bottom of your post. Click Browse then go to your desktop highlight the pic that you want to transfer and click on Insert. Again, instant transfer of the pic to the post.

Now if a 78 YO fart like me with little knowledge of computers and none of Facebook can do this, so can you and anyone else. Have a go.

And rogun, good for you having a go, from your post you have nothing to worry about in terms of your ability to write in an informative and honest manner. I enjoyed reading your post and I look forward to seeing you post some of your fishing experiences in future.   fish1 fish1

And to anyone else who might feel like rogun, let me say that unlike some other sites I have not seen any posts on FBT where anyone criticised another members post, that is what I love about this site. 

Cheers

Paikea

PAIKEA

Chris

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
Why not Post?
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 08:08:07 am »
Hi there,
Introvert, Extrovert,

Me, well I guess I am the first one,

I find it difficult most times to comment on any topic, I am fairly shy and quiet, I tend not to post comments for fear of being judged on content, or mistakes, but I realise this is a choice that I make. I think its called no confidence!

I am old school as I am sure that some others are too, I am not on Facebook, as I have no faith in it and have heard so many stories about it being nothing but trouble, this again I guess is my choice.

I will say this much though, this is the first forum that I have joined, or rather I should say that I have stepped up to the plate and felt able to stay out of sight but still enjoy,

I guess what I am trying to get out is that for my situation, I am glad that I have become a member, I may not post or contribute a great deal,
In my own way I try to get a little involved with chat,
but I rely on this forum and its great members and the interesting content and the reality you all contribute to this site.

Thank you, I hope this site continues to prosper,
 goodjob1 Cheers to all.

Rogun, we are glad to have people like you here!

I think I have made mention before about how we came to develop this site and why, and your story is one of those reasons exactly. We understand that not everyone wants to put themselves out there. We accept that not everyone on here will contribute with a post, a report or a comment. But we hope that everyone can take something away from here, be it that last bit of the puzzle to help them catch a fish or two, a laugh at Proka and my expense or hopefully a new friend or two.

Other forums might make you feel bad for not contributing or being a "lurker". They might ban you for mentioning that you caught a fish on a brand of tackle that is not one of their sponsors. They might cry foul that someone has said something negative about them. They might try to run their forums as a business to make money. And they might cry poor every 6 months and threaten to shut down if people don't "donate" to keep the site running. These reasons and others are why we started FBT all those years ago.

We don't care about any of those things above, we only care about people being able to freely express themselves in a respectful manner, learn a thing or two, find information to assist them be a better fisherman and a safer boater and most importantly, have a bit of fun and a laugh or two. Our business model is structured that we will not ask for anyone to stick their hands in their pockets to "support" the site, we are not dictated to by any outside business or brand on what you guys can post, we don't mind if you post every day or never and we really do not mind if you have a different opinion to us. Paikea has made a valid point and I understand where he is coming from and why. It is not unreasonable for him to have this opinion and I thank him for expressing it. Same as I thank everyone else that has made comments above and those yet to add their thoughts to this discussion.

Yes Facebook is easier to use, no questions about that. They have a team of engineers continuously developing their platform to achieve this. Where a forum has an advantage over Facebook is that it can allow you to be relatively anonymous, it is structured to find information that interests you easily and it allows you to search for information easily.

Sorry for the long ramble, I just wanted to throw it out there again what we are here for. If anyone has any feedback on what we can do better, please just mention it. If you are not comfortable posting in public, shoot off a message or an email. There are no right or wrong ideas or thoughts, except mine according to my wife and kids laugh1

Cheers

Chris

Dan

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 80
  • Liked: 1
Why not Post?
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 09:55:40 am »

Other forums might make you feel bad for not contributing or being a "lurker". They might ban you for mentioning that you caught a fish on a brand of tackle that is not one of their sponsors. They might cry foul that someone has said something negative about them. They might try to run their forums as a business to make money. And they might cry poor every 6 months and threaten to shut down if people don't "donate" to keep the site running. These reasons and others are why we started FBT all those years ago.

And it hasn't changed at all. Exactly what Chris has said above still happens. That's the exact reason I ended up here and it's the best thing I could have done. I frequent this site daily. My reason for lack of posts is simply because I'm slack, and I actually haven't even been fishing in as long as I can remember. Itching would be an understatement atm.

I Will endeavour to post more often. This is a great forum with great members. No constant whining and moaning, just great info and great people
Long Live FBT.

Cheers Dan.

( ps.. happy to lend a hand with anything if ever needed )

Paddlefish Tasmania

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 96
Why not Post?
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 11:00:10 am »
The "digital age" has certainly changed the way people read about fishing much to the lament of business who made money particularly from magazines.

No longer do you have to wait for a monthly or quarterly magazine to come out, now you can simply log on to Facebook or YouTube and get immediate reports on where they're biting and on what.  This has seen the demise of almost all fishing mags and by end of year I doubt you'll seen any left in newsagents.

Crazily I've started my own magazine in the face of this trend, though the online world now enables business like mine to move everything to the internet without the cost of publishing.

Why don't people use forums anymore though?   Sportsfish used to make money out of charging advertisers on their site and were almost a pseudo-magazine just a few years ago. 

I believe it is solely facebook.   Anglers can choose to share their fishing information with their "friends" as opposed to a forum where every man and his dog gets this info.  Nothing worse than seeing a bunch of people rock up to your favourite spot because you detailed the info in a forum.

The "bragging" ability on Facebook is mammoth as well, you can easily post a picture on FB and have 1000's of people see it, including a lot of industry heavy weights.  It's bite size, easily digested info.

Unfortunately this is the future, everyone is now programmed to be goldfish, see things and forget them, move on to the next tidbit etc.

Chris

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
Why not Post?
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 01:36:44 pm »

And it hasn't changed at all. Exactly what Chris has said above still happens. That's the exact reason I ended up here and it's the best thing I could have done. I frequent this site daily. My reason for lack of posts is simply because I'm slack, and I actually haven't even been fishing in as long as I can remember. Itching would be an understatement atm.

I Will endeavour to post more often. This is a great forum with great members. No constant whining and moaning, just great info and great people
Long Live FBT.

Cheers Dan.

( ps.. happy to lend a hand with anything if ever needed )

Thanks Dan!

Yeah I am the same boat (pardon the pun!) as you in regards to fishing. I never seem to find the time at the moment between family and work..... Something has to give to fit it in. Ah well, guess I will miss the family soon grin1

And while disappointing to hear that things haven't changed, we won't be changing any time soon either!

Chris

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
Why not Post?
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 01:41:40 pm »
The "digital age" has certainly changed the way people read about fishing much to the lament of business who made money particularly from magazines.

No longer do you have to wait for a monthly or quarterly magazine to come out, now you can simply log on to Facebook or YouTube and get immediate reports on where they're biting and on what.  This has seen the demise of almost all fishing mags and by end of year I doubt you'll seen any left in newsagents.

Crazily I've started my own magazine in the face of this trend, though the online world now enables business like mine to move everything to the internet without the cost of publishing.

Why don't people use forums anymore though?   Sportsfish used to make money out of charging advertisers on their site and were almost a pseudo-magazine just a few years ago. 

I believe it is solely facebook.   Anglers can choose to share their fishing information with their "friends" as opposed to a forum where every man and his dog gets this info.  Nothing worse than seeing a bunch of people rock up to your favourite spot because you detailed the info in a forum.

The "bragging" ability on Facebook is mammoth as well, you can easily post a picture on FB and have 1000's of people see it, including a lot of industry heavy weights.  It's bite size, easily digested info.

Unfortunately this is the future, everyone is now programmed to be goldfish, see things and forget them, move on to the next tidbit etc.

Thanks Nathan,

I agree with most of what you are saying, except that I do not see a long term future for Facebook. It is already starting to become a problem and there are a LOT of articles around dooming it to the same realm as MySpace already. I think that is a few years off yet.

My concern with this scenario is that all of that information and those fishing stories are lost. Gone! Never to be shared with others in the future.

Thanks again for your feedback mate and all the best with the businesses thumbsup1

Cheers

Chris

Rohan

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 771
  • -Receive: 186
Why not Post?
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 09:23:41 pm »
This is a great forum and the few people that I've met are all great people and I look forward to meeting more members .  One of the things I noticed early on was the ability of the organisers to have a laugh at each other as well as themselves which makes for a good environment to have a laugh and share some serious fishing info . I think this is also why there is a lack of negative press on here . Keep up the good work  thumbsup1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

telr

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 54
Why not Post?
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 07:50:02 am »
Ah well, here we go, confession time!
 As a member of fair age (67), I guess all I can really comment on is my mindset, but it's a valid one, I think for we "average" fishos of the post-war years, baby boomers, whatever we are labelled with. I'd regard myself as a very average fisher, particularly in recent times as a life fully, if not well, lived takes its toll, more trips than fish, more not getting there than planned, etc. What used to be reasonable walks in to spots become huge hurdles, interesting accesses become death-defying etc.
My generation were either taught about fishing by family, friends, or just experience, any books were overseas, magazines non-existent or overseas oriented, or of little perceived interest to a kid or spotty teen in North Queensland! It's only since forced into retirement and considering our move to Tassie any interest in online forums  developed, and then as a tool to come to terms with Southern fishing, there IS a vast difference to we old'uns from to North of the Northern Island!
What I have found is the same acceptance as the old fishing clubs seemed to have, a willingness to share, a lack of criticism and the concept of a few good anglers willing to share their accumulated wisdom, without any mean-spiritedness (now I realize this is due to the fact that good forums are well moderated, in part, thanks!)

Anyhow to topic (finally)! The reason I, and some contempories, don't post as often as we probably could or should, is it becomes boring for both writer and readers to report time after time of trips where the main result has been a nice time in the open air, with great scenery, company, but not much more. Photos of released minifish lose  interest unless really beautiful (mine aren't!), and unless a subject brings a need to reply, we just treat the forums like magazines, without the requisite shelf space, sorry!

Just to finish, before it's back off to the medicos, we silent members DO value these forums, hopefully the good'uns continue & prosper, thanks for the generosity that keeps we old buggers connected, and I'lll try to participate more fully, we do need these resources!

Chris

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
Why not Post?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 10:43:23 am »
Ah well, here we go, confession time!
 As a member of fair age (67), I guess all I can really comment on is my mindset, but it's a valid one, I think for we "average" fishos of the post-war years, baby boomers, whatever we are labelled with. I'd regard myself as a very average fisher, particularly in recent times as a life fully, if not well, lived takes its toll, more trips than fish, more not getting there than planned, etc. What used to be reasonable walks in to spots become huge hurdles, interesting accesses become death-defying etc.
My generation were either taught about fishing by family, friends, or just experience, any books were overseas, magazines non-existent or overseas oriented, or of little perceived interest to a kid or spotty teen in North Queensland! It's only since forced into retirement and considering our move to Tassie any interest in online forums  developed, and then as a tool to come to terms with Southern fishing, there IS a vast difference to we old'uns from to North of the Northern Island!
What I have found is the same acceptance as the old fishing clubs seemed to have, a willingness to share, a lack of criticism and the concept of a few good anglers willing to share their accumulated wisdom, without any mean-spiritedness (now I realize this is due to the fact that good forums are well moderated, in part, thanks!)

Anyhow to topic (finally)! The reason I, and some contempories, don't post as often as we probably could or should, is it becomes boring for both writer and readers to report time after time of trips where the main result has been a nice time in the open air, with great scenery, company, but not much more. Photos of released minifish lose  interest unless really beautiful (mine aren't!), and unless a subject brings a need to reply, we just treat the forums like magazines, without the requisite shelf space, sorry!

Just to finish, before it's back off to the medicos, we silent members DO value these forums, hopefully the good'uns continue & prosper, thanks for the generosity that keeps we old buggers connected, and I'lll try to participate more fully, we do need these resources!

Thanks for the kind words!

We will be here as long as people want to lurk, contribute and share information.

I agree that some of the photos we get here and elsewhere are amazing! I would love to be able to take photos like that! Maybe someone with a bit of knowledge in the dark arts of photography might feel comfortable enough to do a bit of a tutorial on how to take better photos of our catches.....

As for the challenges you mention, they all come to us eventually. Some sooner than others as I am discovering in recent times. a slight strain or niggle that we used to shake off in a day or two suddenly takes a week. The walk to a favourite fishing spot becomes akin to doing the Point-to- Pinnacle half marathon and it takes a day or two to get over a really good fishing trip. I wouldn't change it for the world though and I look to people like yourself and Adrian and see that despite these challenges you guys still get out there and enjoy the pastime. It is inspirational and I for one enjoy reading your contributions.

On the technical side of things, I am looking into way to make the site more user friendly and easier to navigate and use. Keep the feedback coming guys!

Cheers

Chris

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Why not Post?
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 12:15:50 pm »
Hi tier

"Ah well, here we go, confession time!
 As a member of fair age (67) etc,"

You are only a Pup, try adding 10 years to that plus two crook knees and a recent hand operation.

Really enjoyed reading your post, particularly your observations on how you learnt to fish and moved to Tassie. As to posts being boring I have yet to find one that I wished I had not opened, seriously, I start my day (still working) by opening up FBT and checking today's posts.

How about sharing some of your experiences back in Qld? You must have some stories to tell and we would love to read about them.

And to other members who feel that we might not be interested in your posts let me say that everyone and I mean everyone has some stories to tell. If you share them not only will you relive the pleasure (or pain) but we all get to widen our knowledge of a  variety of events and circumstances that we would otherwise miss out on.

Finally, I am most grateful that so many members have responded to this post.   goodjob1

Cheers

Paikea
PAIKEA

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal