Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Seafood allergy  (Read 929 times)

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 142
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 1
Seafood allergy
« on: April 04, 2017, 02:29:16 pm »
As a lover of seafood myself I have to be very careful eating any near my wife who is fatally allergic to crustaceous, any form of shellfish, but not fish.

Problem is that (bought) fish is often stored with other seafood which cross-contaminates the fish.

In our 25 years together she has collapsed 8 times from eating non-seafood that had been contaminated by crustacions. As an example, she collapsed when eating veal that had been crumbed in the same container of crumbs as my meal (a seafood basket). Another time at a top restaurant she was assured that the Snapper had not been near any other seafood and the sauce was a simple lemon butter.  When I questioned the Chef after she collapsed he admitted that the lemon butter sauce had some fish stock added to it. Further questioning then revealed that the fish stock had been bought in from an outside source. Now anyone should know that "fish stock" is made from a wide range of fish bones, Lobster and Prawn shells, fish fins etc which are boiled down to create a very tasty stock. But almost fatal to my wife.

We carry 2 Epi Pens of Adrenaline (one spare) that I have injected to save her coupled with cardiac massage and mouth to mouth resuscitation. Before the advent of Epi Pens we had to carry ampules of adrenaline and a Syringe, now that was fun. Not!

My reason for posting this is that allergy's seem to be on the increase, particularly nuts and seafood thereby placing people who eat in cafe's or restaurants etc at risk. All of which makes travelling away from home a potentially dangerous practise. Also children are at an increased risk particularly if they share food from other kids who are not allergic.

We have minimised the risk by printing and laminating a small card that describes my wife's allergy in detail and asks that the kitchen thoroughly wash any appliances, knives, cutting boards  etc before using them in the preparation of my wife's meal. We hand the card to the waitress with the request that she shows it to whoever is in charge of preparing the food. 

Since we adopted that practise some years ago we have had no problems. Chef's have been happy to comply with our request to wash all tools etc and have complimented us on making them aware of the seriousness of the allergy. We have only encountered two restaurants where the Chef asked us not to eat at his restaurant. Fair enough, if he is not confident that there is no cross- contamination in his kitchen  we sure as hell do not want to eat there.

Finally, we travel a fair amount including overseas so we ended up "Googleing" a translation of the card into the language of every country that we were visiting. Worked a treat! It appears that no-one wants a diner to collapse and die in their restaurant so they all take great care to avoid cross - contamination.

I hope that this post may be of some help to others who have or know someone who has a serious allergy. If anyone would like a copy of the text on our card send me a private message and I will forward details.

Cheers

Paikea
PAIKEA

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 521
  • -Receive: 469
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
Seafood allergy
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 04:18:15 pm »
Mate, what an astounding story!

I've been aware for years of the issues with food allergies, and how specific they can be, but your (and especially your wife's) determination to go on and enjoy life despite it is really terrific.  Love your solution about restaurants, and educating them via the little card - and really thrilled to hear that most are happy to take it on board.  What a simple and clever way to address it.

Thank you for sharing!

proka

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 617
  • -Receive: 392
  • Liked: 1
  • Referrals: 19
    • Fishing Boating Tasmania
Seafood allergy
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 09:55:08 pm »
Great practical advice and solutions Paikea thumbsup1

I've been in a similar situation with a work colleague. Out for dinner, they make their allergies known, get a "no worries we understand" response and low and behold she has an allergic reaction thatsenough1

I didn't think we could be any clearer but I do understand that it must be extremely hard to ensure there's no cross contamination whatsoever. Seems so simple but when someone's so sensitive if doesn't take much.

proka
What has 4,882km's of coastline? think1

Chris

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1475
  • -Receive: 615
  • Referrals: 14
Seafood allergy
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 09:56:34 am »
Thanks for sharing. I can actually see this advice saving someone's life someday.

Glad to see that most places are willing to accommodate your wife's needs. Those that don't obviously have their reasons and I actually think it is very good of them to admit they are not able to meet your requirements. They could just dismiss it and not care but they didn't.

Cheers

Chris

ThomasMaloney

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • Referrals: 0
    • Storage Brisbane South
Seafood allergy
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 06:11:35 pm »
Funny story - I know of this couple where the husband is allergic to prawns, but surprisingly not crabs or lobsters. Seems like he's perfectly capable of eating the expensive stuff. In fact, he's actually not THAT allergic to the prawns even and will venture a nibble once in a while even though his tongue gets all itchy when he does eat the stuff. Safe to say they don't keep any of that in storage in the fridge just in case he's tempted to eat it more often than that!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal