Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Improving the trim in my Bar Crusher  (Read 1120 times)

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 153
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 1
Improving the trim in my Bar Crusher
« on: January 05, 2017, 07:50:18 am »
Fitting my 490C Bar Crusher with loads of added gear caused it to become seriously bum heavy limiting the amount of down trim that I could get for running into choppy seas.
Dual batteries inside the transom and a large custom made transom mounted live bait tank was all too much for what is a comparatively small boat.
I decided to improve the weight distribution by moving the second battery forward as far as possible either by just placing the Battery box on the floor at the bow and/or raising the floor in the bow to create added secure storage for gear as well as the battery.
Bar Crusher now offer seats either side of the bow area leaving a gap in the middle but as you would expect they are quite small. As pulling up anchors is beyond my torn shoulder ligament I fitted a Stress Free anchor winch so I donít have any need to access the large hatch in the front of the cuddy.
Filling in the bow area was done by installing two aluminium bulkheads pop riveted to the floor plus an angle section riveted to the back of the anchor well. This was covered with 10 MM marine plywood covered with marine carpet.
The second battery is now located between the forward bulkhead and the back of the anchor well and accessed via a hinged panel. The area between the two bulkheads provides a large storage area for gear that is not in constant use. Works a treat.
To get further down trim I also fitted a small cast aluminium planing plate to the cav plate, raised the motor one hole and fitted a SS prop. The overall result of the changes has been a significant improvement in the trim range that I can now get from the 60 HP Suzuki and a big improvement getting onto the plane on take-off.
PAIKEA

Chris

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1475
  • -Receive: 615
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 14
Improving the trim in my Bar Crusher
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 11:09:03 am »
Thanks for sharing. I like stuff like this, nerd that I am embaress1