Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If you like eel, then here's a recipe..  (Read 757 times)

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2297
  • -Receive: 921
  • Liked: 7
  • Referrals: 2
If you like eel, then here's a recipe..
« on: October 30, 2016, 10:50:04 am »
I've never eaten ell before and probably never will as I don't catch them spin fishing, in saying that I did catch one around 4' long in Lake Barrington many years ago while bait fishing. Gave it to a friend who likes to eat them. I do know that many people do like eating them so here's a recipe that I came across and it certainly looks good and if i do ever happen to catch one, well i may just try it.

https://www.japancentre.com/en/recipes/1434-unagi-don-grilled-eel-rice-bowl

cheers
Adrian
Tackle Tactics, Mepps, Okuma & Platypus lines Pro Team Member..

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 541
  • -Receive: 476
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 04:58:18 pm »
Wow that sounds delicious!  Thanks Adrian.

Here's my favourite:

Bring your (fresh water) eel home in a bag, alive.  Get a biggish pot of water boiling on the stove.  Put a good handful of coarse salt in another bag: drop the eel in there and give it a shake about for a minute or so: this causes it to exude most of its protective slime.  Then drop it straight into the boiling water for 1 minute: this blanches it and loosens the skin.  It's then easy to slit the skin lengthways down the eel, and peel it all off.  What you will find underneath is a long, slender body of firm pink-orange muscle.

Either fillet or just cut into lengths.  Arrange in a shallow casserole dish.  Drizzle with fresh lemon, cracked black pepper, and add a half cup of dry white wine to the dish.  Lid on, and poach in a hot oven (180C) for about half an hour.

Remove from the casserole, set out on a plate, pour over the poaching liquor, let cool then refrigerate.  The liquor will form a light aspic.  Serve the pieces, with the aspic, with a simple garden salad, fresh bread, and a dollop of coriander, chilli and lime mayonnaise.  Alternatively strip the flesh from the bones and arrange the flesh plus aspic in the salad.  Your guests then won't be able to tell the diff. between it and the finest Atlantic salmon!

PS: it also smokes up a treat, exactly as you would do for trout or Atlantic salmon.

proka

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 617
  • -Receive: 393
  • Liked: 1
  • Referrals: 19
    • Fishing Boating Tasmania
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 09:00:52 pm »
That recipe sounds awesome. As kids we used to fish the farm dams and the old man would them smoke them in and old galv tank.

By fishing I actually mean 3' chicken wire strung between a couple of star pickets and we would simply run this through the dam and up the other side. Then pick them up and toss them in an apple crate.

After big summer rains we could pick or spear them from the farrows that ran across the paddocks between dams...even easier thumbsup1
What has 4,882km's of coastline? think1

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal