Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FBT - Where to from here  (Read 1147 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1475
  • -Receive: 615
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 14
FBT - Where to from here
« on: October 27, 2016, 12:23:58 pm »
First, my apologies about the spam this morning. Not sure how that one got through, but the account is no longer useable.

Second, it highlighted something that I have been thinking for the past few months now: Where do we take FBT from here????

Those of us that started this site and those that offered up their time as moderators have all got other priorities and accountabilities these days. Personally, I used to be able to spend at least a few hours a day on here making sure things ran smoothly and crap like this morning were nipped in the bud. Thanks to a change of role a few years back, that is no longer possible. I am pretty much working 7 days a week (yes even when I am home on "break" I am working these days!) and when I am at work I am on call 24hrs as well was doing a 12hr day. I know most of the other guys that help keep this site ticking over are in similar boats (see what I did there???? I worked boats into the rant..... Oh never mind me!) so things like this are happening way more often than I would like.

FBT was started for everyone to have a place to come and share information and stories, meet new like minded people and most importantly have fun. We don't place many restrictions on what you can/cannot post because we don't have any affiliations or business dealings with any person or companies. We actually have knocked back significant offers because there were "conditions" placed on the offers. That is not what we are about and not what we wanted to achieve with the site. FBT is here for everyone to use and enjoy.

What the hell is leading to I hear you asking???? Put simply, I think we need some new blood. There are a heap of people that are already on here and basically doing the moderating without any of the tools to actually actively moderate. If anyone would like to take on the role of moderator, feel free to shoot me a PM or email (seeing as I am at work, cypelaan@anglogoldashanti.com is the best one!) and we can discuss it further. Open invitation guys and girls!

TLDR: The current moderators are too time poor, we want the site to grow and be more awesome, anyone want to help be a moderator????

proka

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 617
  • -Receive: 392
  • Liked: 1
  • Referrals: 19
    • Fishing Boating Tasmania
FBT - Where to from here
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 08:05:36 pm »
Great idea Chris thumbsup1 The more involvement from member moderators is a great way for the site to grow.

Perhaps someone with a flare for IT to give us an update think1

An advertising guru to work out how we can promote supplier products and run a few comps think1

Thanks for all the extra work you've put in to get us where we are Chris grin1

proka
What has 4,882km's of coastline? think1

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 521
  • -Receive: 469
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
FBT - Where to from here
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 06:19:23 am »
Hi all

Chris has accepted my offer to help as a moderator.  I'm new to the whole concept and what's required etc, but I'll gradually get the hang of it.  I'm a strong supporter of the site, and felt I should do my bit to help keep it operating.  I used to be very active on another site that shall remain nameless, until the owner/operator dissed me for mentioning a particular new brand of lure rather more than he liked - so I relocated to FBT about the middle of last year, and greatly appreciate the acceptance I have found here.

I don't have IT flair, Proka, nor am I an advertising guru - but I do have a fair bit of experience in public relations as well as professional writing and editing.  Also some contacts around the traps, so looking forward to perhaps organising the occasional competition of some sort, hopefully with donated prizes attached, maybe. And promoting supplier products, if suppliers want it.  And I will certainly pop up questions and suggestions from time to time that will hopefully get members responding; a bit more regular traffic on the site would be a good thing.

I'm more or less retired, so no pressure from work schedules: consequently I am on the site most days first thing in the morning and often again later in the day, so can intercept and edit or otherwise deal with "iffy" posts as they come up.

So, onward and upward!

Chris

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1475
  • -Receive: 615
  • Referrals: 14
FBT - Where to from here
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 09:04:53 am »
Great idea Chris thumbsup1 The more involvement from member moderators is a great way for the site to grow.

Perhaps someone with a flare for IT to give us an update think1

An advertising guru to work out how we can promote supplier products and run a few comps think1

Thanks for all the extra work you've put in to get us where we are Chris grin1

proka

Thanks mate.

As I said, been thinking about this for a while now. We are all busier than we thought we would ever be when we started this and that is just life. I will always be happy to pay the bills and do the technical side of it, just don't have the time to devote to the day-to-day stuff at the moment.

FBT has always been about the fishing and boating people and freedom to say what they like with dignity and respect and not feel like they will be chastised or scolded for saying the "wrong thing" (whatever that is!).

Thanks Paul for taking on the moderator role. You are very active anyway and I am sure you will do a great job making sure that we don't get a repeat of yesterday.

Anyone else want to join him, shoot me an email. More the merrier and there really is no expectation or pressure. Just keep the site ticking over and keep the undesirables out.

Cheers

proka

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 617
  • -Receive: 392
  • Liked: 1
  • Referrals: 19
    • Fishing Boating Tasmania
FBT - Where to from here
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 09:19:33 pm »