Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Christina 21ft  (Read 1937 times)

jack

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 6
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 1
Christina 21ft
« on: July 24, 2016, 08:54:54 pm »
My latest fishing vessel arrived almost a month ago, Channel Marine getting me a part to fix the outboard then it is ready for the Bass strait. She designed for extended trips and certainly not built for speed, came with a 10ft nesting dinghy as well, has bilge keels so does stand upright in low tides, i tested it on a mud flat on the Inglis before taking it to the pontoon.

Chris

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1475
  • -Receive: 615
  • Referrals: 14
Christina 21ft
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 07:32:55 am »
Nice looking vessel.

What are the travel plans with her?

jack

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Christina 21ft
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 12:29:12 pm »
She has done trips in the past between Melbourne and Tasmania, i am thinking do a few trips to King island, Three Hummock island and use her between Devonport and Smithton. The trips will be for fishing but the time to reach places takes a while to get there. Most trips going to be a minimum of overnight, some will be 5 days. Past owner said in 40 knot wind with sail reefed and storm jib on he had it surfing at 8.5 knots, normal speed is only 5 to 7 knots. The boat has a porta toilet onboard, stove and heaps of room inside which i will convert from beds and seats to a live aboard yacht design with some benches and converting the forward cabin from cushions to marine carpet so i can hang rods, hang ropes and store more gear.

Inside i am slowly painting all white, then i will get the seat covers replaced.

Outside the top of boat was in need of a paint job, i managed to get two days of sunshine here in the past month to give her a paint job outside and will do more outside painting in summer, have a look at the old paint colour before

Her keels are tricky navigating in the Inglis, has two keels (bilge keels) each keel is 200 kg of lead and needs at least 1 metre deep water to navigate, but having fixed keels means i have more room inside, so a lot better than a drop down keel.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 12:38:33 pm by jack »

Chris

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1475
  • -Receive: 615
  • Referrals: 14
Christina 21ft
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 03:37:19 pm »
Nice one goodjob1

Better watch out those keels don't go missing. Brad might need some sinkers whistlingdixie1

Brad

• Global Moderator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 336
  • -Receive: 552
  • Liked: 5
  • Referrals: 6
Christina 21ft
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 06:45:31 pm »
I would only need sinkers if I ever went fishing... :(

A high tide job for sure!

How is the Inglis looking after the rain depth wise?
Whens the next adventure?

jack

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Christina 21ft
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 12:55:05 am »
The sand bar has washed out of the river, sand is now on the edge of the river east side on the beach rocks. The mast posts two have fallen over, fishing going well on the wharf and i am fishing of the boat on the pontoon while i wait for the outboard to come back

jack

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Christina 21ft
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 08:26:15 pm »

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 564
  • -Receive: 489
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
Christina 21ft
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 10:40:12 am »
Geez mate; you've already had some adventures with her!

Sweet little boat: is she a Hartley?

Some project work there, but it shouldn't be too much of a challenge to get her all shipshape.  I had a similar-sized boat some years ago: marine ply over King Billy frames, designed and built by Jock Muir.  Was well used but a bit tired when I got her, so like you, I had some jobs to do. A couple of things worth noting in case they're of help to you...

Leaks.  There were several points that dripped inside the cabin after rain.  The drips didn't coincide with any obvious damage on the outside.  Then I read that with a ply deck, sometimes water can get in at one point, then find its way through the layers and emerging somewhere else entirely.  My leaks at the cabin-deck join I finally traced to the staunchions.  The rusting around the fastenings was a give-away. Removed them after a period of dry weather, filled all the bolt holes etc with epoxy filler, then after repainting the deck I re-fitted the staunchions with a good bed of fresh Sikaflex under the bases and down the bolt-holes.  Bingo! Dry cabin!

The other leak was in the forepeak, and turned out that the foredeck hatch cover had split apart, but not so you could see it through the paint.  That was a simple fix - dismantle the hatch cover, re-glue the planks with epoxy, re-assemble and re-paint.

Paint.  I very quickly discovered that Dulux Weathershield (oil-based enamel) is just as good as any "marine" paints - and a darn sight cheaper.  Just make sure you use a good oil-based primer/undercoat under it: it doesn't stick too well on an acrylic one.  I did deck, cabin sides and roof (outside and inside), and even the outside of the hull with it.  Lasted 5 years before I sold the boat, and apparently the next owner got another 5 years before he felt the need to re-paint.

Cabin Windows.  Those flat acrylic sheet windows, screwed in around the perimeter, are bedded on a bead of some sort of sealing/bonding material.  It eventually goes brittle and perishes, letting moisture in - although often, you can't see anything wrong with it.  I took all mine out, cleaned them up thoroughly, and scraped back the cabin sides where they fit, then re-painted the wood and re-set the windows, again with new Sikaflex.  Don't do the screws up super-tight - it squeezes the bedding out.  Once the Sika has cured, then put an extra half-turn on each of the screws.

Hope some of this is useful.  Good luck with your project, and I hope you enjoy it - and the boat - as much as I did mine!

jack

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Christina 21ft
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 08:53:39 am »
Solagard paint i used on it, seems to be fine so far. Also only leak is coming in from the cowl, i have a bucket under cowl while i wait for some warmer weather to seal it. One stuanchion has some rust around the bolt, but no wet or damp or rot plywood under it, no rot or wet spots found anywhere in the boat so far and we have had  now in a month over 200 mm of rain on it and its been in the water for a few weeks, so no leaks found anywhere thank god.

jack

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Christina 21ft video using outboard
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 10:11:43 pm »
Remember she built for cruising not for racing, 10.9km an hour is still good enough with the outboard and sails best speed so far is 11.4km an hour in light winds.

tassieflyer

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 107
  • Referrals: 0
Christina 21ft
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 06:40:30 am »
when i was younger i had a hartly ts 16 i did alot of fishing and even raced it a few times at the local sailing club remember the biggest killer for wooden boats in fresh water always clean any fresh water out.

jack

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
Christina 21ft
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 08:18:16 am »
No water gets inside but i am always keeping an eye out for it, Christina is tied up on a pontoon but i spend at least an hour each day while tied up working on the boat, sorting out what goes where and trying to figure out the best way to set her up for fishing and keeping an eye out for anything that needs attention.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal