Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Trout Fishing Competition October 13th, 2012  (Read 7572 times)

Brad

• Global Moderator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 336
  • -Receive: 552
  • Liked: 5
  • Referrals: 6
Trout Fishing Competition October 13th, 2012
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2012, 06:02:31 am »

I may post a report of our weekend if I get round to it at risk of being assumed to be an over ego, tournament angling manic who thinks they're better than everyone else and has no respect for the law, waterways and other NON tournament anglers! blahblah1 makefun1

Go for it mate, would love to see it thumbsup1
Whens the next adventure?

Chris

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1475
  • -Receive: 615
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 14
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 08:57:34 am »
I am not a fan of tournament anglers.... Only justification for it is that you guys are out fishing when I am at work envy1 behave1

Just kidding, each to their own I reckon. And as stated, there are a bucket load of comps now that support very worthy causes and also provide quality data on fisheries that is used to manage the sport and make sure that fishing continues well into the future for all levels. thumbsup1

Well done to Daz and look forward to hearing him brag, I mean report on the weekend grin1

shippy

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 254
  • -Receive: 174
  • Liked: 3
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 09:53:41 am »
As stated only passing it on. Thought this might open up a can of worms, Me personally couldnt give a rats arse either way but good to see someone else copping it instead of all the fly fishing comp blokes all the time. And as for speed all hydro waters have a ? 20 0r 10 knot speed limit on them so we all break the speed limits. It comes down to common sence where you go fast and dont speed, hopefully now this is the end to this crap so get over it and have a nice day if not well dont.
Cheers Craig

TD

• Forum Supporter
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 10:26:57 am »
I enjoy fly fishing as much as taking the boy to the junior water or chasing bream on the coast or tuna on the peninsula or trout in the tournaments.
It's all fishing. If people are getting wound up about people that are not actually breaking the rules then I'm not sure why they are out there anyway. It about enjoying yourself. Now that might be a troll around a lake, fly fishing the margins to trout sipping duns, or testing yourself in a tournament against others doing the same.
I don't have an issue with your comments Shippy. Just many of us are a bit over the criticism that is largely unfounded toward so called 'tournament anglers'. I've been a member of an angling club since I was in primary school and fished comps pretty much every month for 30 years. I just don't see the difference between then and now. We certainly aren't arrogant and self indulgent. Any one who asks me a question gets an answer. You only have to read my posts I'm sure to see that or read an article. Happy to help anyone out who might be finding it tough on a water or species. I definitely don't have all the answers, far from it in fact but I'll always offer some advice where I can. It's great to see new faces having a crack every year. I've only done three years and learnt plenty, I hoped of shared just as much.

I've never heard the 10/20knt limit on Hydro waters before and my father was an IFS officer for 30 yrs. Is this written anywhere, or signed? I'd genuinely be keen to see the documentation if that's the case. I'm interested to know more.

I will post a report from the comp as soon as Harri gets the results out properly (as will Daz I'm sure - he's off breaming the coast somewhere right now)

shippy

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 11:02:45 am »
Not 100% certain on the speed limits myself, but going back some years ago there were signs
at boat ramps saying the speed on the lake witch was always 10 or 20 knots, on the net can only come up with certain lakes with restricted speeds so may be that all changed after they stopped damming and making the lakes be good to find out either way.
Now to a better look, who in the comp caught the 32 fish at Arthurs if so well done and a great effort
I managed 14 on the fly and my mate 4 in our practice session ready for the states this weekend.
The blokes in the horse float and with the fire pot cant remember there names but were real friendly
blokes had a chat to them when we arrived and as we were leaving tryed to get us on the beer with em very tempting, Iam the same when fishing in the comps its full on and then after its all over, good to meet new people and social lize with your mates and others you only see two or three times a year. And I also chase tuna and other fish for the fun but very rarely keep any, like to catch and release not a fish eater thats the main reason for releasing, but would like to fish every day of the week if I could.
Cheers Craig

Chris

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2012, 11:20:12 am »
but would like to fish every day of the week if I could.

agree1 thumbsup1 fish1 gonefishing1

TD

• Forum Supporter
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2012, 11:29:35 am »

Now to a better look, who in the comp caught the 32 fish at Arthurs if so well done and a great effort.
I managed 14 on the fly and my mate 4 in our practice session ready for the states this weekend.

Cheers Craig
Shippy

Here is the top three teams - break down is Great Lake/Arthurs Lake for Sat/Sun.
I was in team Downtown/Howler, we were equal on points with Cranka 2 at the end of day 2 but lost on countback.

The top 5 teams landed over 140 trout on Sunday at Arthurs with bags of 32, 28, 28, 27 and 26.
Great Lake Sat best bags - 24, 16, 15, 14 and 13.

1st: Team Cranka 2 - 13/32
2nd: Team Downtown/Howler Camo Rods -16/27
3rd: Team Lox Liquid Gold - 14/26
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 11:33:29 am by TD »

Brad

• Global Moderator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 336
  • -Receive: 552
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2012, 11:37:17 am »
Thats a fair effort envy1 envy1
Whens the next adventure?

shippy

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2012, 11:46:56 am »
Thats a good tally of fish between the top five teams, bad luck TD on the count back a bit of a piss off
Do you blokes only fish with plastics and hard bodies or anything go's, Was there many fish caught at Great lake on the Saturday. When we catch fish in the fly comps we measure the length and then release the fish hopefully unharm, they normally take off like a frieght train, is your system the same or different and well done to all the blokes that caught heaps of fish and everyone that fished in it, cant wait till this weekend,  now that Iam fully cleared from the Doctors.
Cheers Craig

TD

• Forum Supporter
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2012, 11:59:36 am »
Thats a good tally of fish between the top five teams, bad luck TD on the count back a bit of a Bleep off
Do you blokes only fish with plastics and hard bodies or anything go's, Was there many fish caught at Great lake on the Saturday. When we catch fish in the fly comps we measure the length and then release the fish hopefully unharm, they normally take off like a frieght train, is your system the same or different and well done to all the blokes that caught heaps of fish and everyone that fished in it, cant wait till this weekend,  now that Iam fully cleared from the Doctors.
Cheers Craig
Fishing is by artificial lure only (fly or lure) and not allowed under power, i.e. no trolling but you can use the leccie to maintain course or position.
All fish are photographed on a measure with your team key tag and a secondary event sticker and fish must then be returned to the water.
Results are recorded on a sheet and checked against your cameras memory card.
We caught all ours on lures.

Chris

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2012, 12:06:34 pm »
What was the stand out lure TD? For you guys and any of the other teams that youa re aware of....

TD

• Forum Supporter
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2012, 12:49:49 pm »
What was the stand out lure TD? For you guys and any of the other teams that youa re aware of....
For us: Panish 65, Cherry Blood Deep and Dr Minnow in trout colours at GL
Arthurs was Presso in Black n Gold, Flatz Minnow in BnG and brown trout. BassX in BnG and the Dr Minnow in trout colour again

Daz and Isaac fished deep with Gulps in New Penny and Banana Prawn I think he said

Chris

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2012, 01:18:54 pm »
Thanks TD thumbsup1

Ben

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 366
  • -Receive: 254
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2012, 01:49:40 pm »
Nice work  TD and daz thats a bloody good couple of days fishn!!! How awsome are the smith panish lures i use the cherry blood md 04 colour and the daiwa Dclutch Bgold on GL and it smash's them!!! Looks like Arthurs is starting to fish like it used too aswell!!!
wish i had fished the comp now lol lol
Cheers Rocky

TD

• Forum Supporter
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2012, 02:53:16 pm »
I should have mentioned the Nories Laydown Minnow BR19 that I pimped up a little. Took the first few fish for me until some fish swam away with it  doh1

Buggerme

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 67
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2012, 04:57:42 pm »
Well out of all this I have learnt some thing. I actually thought all hydro waters were 5 knots. Is there a list any where of all the lakes etc and what speed is allowed on them.
I have met Tony and had many sessions of sending pm's back and forward with him. He is quite free with his info and knowledge. All I had to do was ask and he past on what he knew. Thanks for that mate.
Shippy is the same. I ask him some stupid questions some times about fly fishing and he always comes across with some straight forward  answers.
Most fishers are the same I have found. Ask and they are only too pleased to talk and pass on info.

shippy

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2012, 06:20:26 pm »
Got this off the Mast site but still dosent answer other speeds
on lakes did send a email off to IFS and Hydro but no reply as yet.

Speed Limits and 5 knot Areas

SPEED LIMITS FOR RECREATIONAL VESSELS

The following speed limits exist for recreational vessels in Tasmania and on-the-spot fines can be issued to offenders.

No boat shall exceed a speed of 5 knots when within 60 metres of a wharf, jetty, mooring, the shoreline or other boat.

No boat shall exceed a speed of 5 knots when within 120 metres of a person swimming, a person diving (displaying the A flag) or a person wading in the water.

Provisional licence holders are not to exceed 20 knots.

There are also a number of designated areas around the state where a speed limit of 5 knots exists. These areas are normally around popular swimming beaches where MAST has previously encountered dangerous behaviour from PWC and boat operators in close proximity to swimmers.

SPECIFIC AREAS WHERE A SPEED A 5 KNOTS MUST NOT BE EXCEEDED

1. Waters of the Prosser River that are to seaward of the bridge on the Tasman Highway (and commonly known as the Prosser River Bridge or the Orford Bridge).

2. All waters of the Scamander River with the exception of that stretch of the river known as “Price’s Straight” and which is delimited at its upstream end by 2 beacons one adjacent to each bank of the river and of rectangular shape and white in colour and at its downstream end by 2 beacons one adjacent to each bank of the river and of rectangular shape and white in colour.

3. An area of water of Georges Bay which lies to the eastward of the launching ramp located at Stieglitz Beach, as delineated by transit beacons on the eastern and western extremities consisting of 2 beacons in line having orange coloured triangular top marks, the seaward limit of which is an imaginary line drawn parallel to the shoreline between these transists and 120 metres to seaward from the low water mark.

4. Waters of Coles Bay to the northward of an imaginary line drawn from the navigation light located on the outer end of the main Coles Bay jetty to the beacon located at the mouth of Ranger Creek.

5. Waters inside of an imaginary line drawn between Blinking Billy Point and the base of the boat launching ramp on Sandy Bay Point.

6. River Derwent –

(a) New Norfolk: from the New Norfolk Bridge downstream approximately 900 metres to an imaginary line drawn from the Western side of the boat launching ramp on the southern shore to a point on the Northern shore marked by a rectangular warning sign;.

(b) Bellerive Beach: an area within 200 metres of the waterline extending eastward from the western end of the beach with the eastern extremity delineated by a sign on the beach;

(c) Blackmans Bay: all waters within an imaginary line drawn in a north-westerly direction from Flowerpot Point to the stormwater outlet on Blackmans Bay Beach;

(d) Howrah Beach: all waters within an imaginary line drawn from Howrah Point to the boat launching area;

(e) Kingston Beach: waters within an imaginary line drawn from the Kingston Beach Sailing Club to a point on the beach at the end of Beach Road;

(f) Nutgrove Beach: an area within 200 metres of the waterline extending eastward from the western end of the beach to the Sandy Bay Sailing Club.

7. Waters of Tiger Head inside of an imaginary line drawn between the base of the boat launching ramp and the point in Dark Corner.

8. Waters of the Carlton River upstream of an imaginary line drawn between beacons situated 400 metres from the mouth of the river.

9. South Esk River –

(a) waters bounded on the south by the weir situated on the northern side of the Perth Bridge and on the north by the Perth Water Supply Pumping Station;,

(b) waters bounded on the south by the convergence of the South Esk and Macquarie Rivers and on the north by the Mill Dam.

10. Lake Barrington - within 60 metres of the southern extremity of the launching ramp at Kentish Park.

11. Port Area of Whitemark.

12. Port Area of Lady Barron.

13. South Esk River west of Kings Park

14. Trevallyn Power Station Tailrace - to the west of an imaginary line drawn north west from No. 3 light.

15. West Arm - between one imaginary line drawn northwards from the Riviera Hotel, through West Arm beacon, to the southernmost part of Anchor Point, and another imaginary line drawn from the shore south of Stingray Bay, via the north eastern and south western buoys southwards to the short.

16. Lagoon Bay - the marked ski access lane is for landing or picking up skiers only.

17. Pipers Head - in the mouth of the Pipers River between the entrance and an imaginary line drawn to the eastward from Weymouth Boat Ramp.

18. Bridport -

(a) Great Forester River: in the mouth of the Great Forester River from the northern end of the breakwater to the green and yellow pile with blue notice off Main Beach;.

(b) Croquet Lawn Bay;.

(c) All waters in Anderson Bay to 200m seaward of the shore bounded by an imaginary line drawn perpendicular to the shore at the Northern end of Mermaids Beach and another such imaginary line drawn perpendicular to the shore at Pier Point.

19. An area within 200 metres of the waterline at the following:

(a) Mersey Bluff Beach;
(b) Coles Beach;
(c) East Devonport Beach (each and west side of breakwater);
(d) All Hawley and Port Sorell Beaches;
(e) Squeaking Point;
(f) Panatana Rivulet;
(g) Forth River;
(h) Turners Beach;
(i) Ulverstone Sea Beaches

20. An area on the Mersey River north of the Bass Highway bridge and south of an imaginary line drawn due east from the Victoria Parade boat ramp.

21. Four Springs Lake.

22. Arthurs Lake - Waters of Cowpaddock Bay north of the transmission lines.

23. Penstock Lagoon.

24. Little Pine Lagoon.

25. Bradys Lake/Lake Binney - waters of Bradys/Binney Canal.

26. Lake Binney/Tungatinah Lagoon - waters of the Binney/Tungatinah Canal.

27. Waters of Mossy Marsh.

28. Waters of Pump Pond.

29. Waters of Shannon Lagoon.

30. Waters of Huntsmens Lake.

Buggerme

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 67
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2012, 06:32:51 pm »
Thanks for that Craig. As you say there are a few left off the list. One I noticed was Brushys Lagoon.

Rockinrobertson

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 27
  • Liked: 2
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2012, 07:43:29 pm »
I entered both comps on the weekend also and kept one fish to weigh. It was a Rainbow of 1.98 Lb from memory. I managed to pick up the mystery weight which was a nights accomdation at the great Lake Hotel and a days guided fishing for 2 people with UAF valued at $750! Was stoked with that seeing as we couldn't hold it together on day 2 in Arthurs to finish better in the other comp. Also scored 2 nights at the Great Lake Hotel with the random prize draw too so Very happy with the weekends results lol! I am the same as Justin and have only fished Great Lake and Arthurs a handful of times. that's why we struggled. Full credit to the winners though they smashed them. I am just happy to be out there fishing as most know whether its a comp or casual. mention fish and I am there. We were 6th on day one, but fell to 11th by the end of day 2. Pity we couldn't of stayed in the top 10 though, but there is always next year!
regards,
Tony

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal