Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Channel and Huon estuary (81)  (Read 728 times)

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 472
  • -Receive: 419
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
Channel and Huon estuary (81)
« on: April 04, 2018, 07:13:43 am »
Can't see too much opportunity to get out for a fish again for the next few days, so thought I'd do a bit of a composite report on a couple of recent trips instead.

First was a session down the Huon estuary with a mate and his new (to him) boat.  He had been looking to move up from his 4.2 runabout as his family was growing.  I put him on to an ad for a 4.6 Stabicraft that he thought was just the bee's knees, so when he took it out for his first shake-down run in it, he invited me along. 

We launched at Cygnet and ran down the port to Deep Bay, tried a little trolling to see how that went, and picked up several nice cocky salmon, some little slimy mackerel - bit of a surprise, there! - and the odd small 'couta.  Then on down the estuary to figure out what was its best cruising speed, until we settled for a couple of drifts over some shallow flats spinning SPs for flathead.  He was amazed when we lifted a couple of dozen fish in very quick time, with about 16 suitable for keeping.  All in water under 3 metres deep, with a taint of tannin in it from recent rains.  Got the boat nicely sorted, took a feed each, and back on the ramp by lunchtime.

Second trip, a week or so later, was my 4-year-old grandson's first ever go in a boat.  Equipped with the pfd we bought him for his birthday, and with his dad alongside, we did a gentle run out from Trial Bay into the Channel.  Once he was OK with the motion of the boat, we had a couple of drifts for flathead, in shallow water close to shore, and caught plenty; a dozen or so were keepers.  He was fascinated, and happy to see some caught on his own little rod, though couldn't quite manage the playing and landing himself.  That might come next time!

Then we wheeled out into the Channel at speed, slowed and watched some yachts racing under full spinnaker, checked out a couple of other boats fishing, and made our way back to the ramp before he got bored (4-yr-olds don't have a long attention span!).  He took the flathead home and his Dad cooked it for dinner: he pronounced it yummy, and has ordered that we catch "flathead, then octopus, then squid" next time we go out.  Hopefully that can be soon!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 10:39:49 am by Chris »

mahimahi

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 17
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 11:12:59 pm »
Slimy/blue mackeral in good numbers in FHB.

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 472
  • -Receive: 419
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 07:19:18 am »
I got good-size (ie, 35cm+) jack mackerel spinning SPs in Port Esperance the other day, too.  I don't think the various mackerel are all that unusual in southern inshore waters, but I haven't seen much sign of any of them for the past few years; now it seems they're turning up again. 

Wonder if that had anything to do with the plague of juvenile 'couta that were about for the past few seasons - but aren't much in evidence this year?

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 129
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 05:00:16 pm »
Love smoked Mackerel, top tucker.

I haven't been out since our trip to Tassie so having fishing withdrawal symptoms. You know, twitchy rod arm, checking gear, checking burley in the Boss's freezer, making sure the boat is still parked out the front (yup, its still there) reading fishing mags and checking pics from our last trip.

Downloaded the Go Pro footage of our SBT experience but yet to learn how to edit it into a viewable video.  John will be up from Bega soon so will try to persuade him to assist.

Hope you are all well

Cheers

Paikea
PAIKEA

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal