Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: gone very quiet  (Read 410 times)

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 623
  • -Receive: 533
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
gone very quiet
« on: October 22, 2021, 01:27:37 pm »
I don't know how things are in other parts of the state, but I can report that the fishing seems to have gone very quiet of late in the lower Huon and Channel.  I've had three trips out over a couple of weeks - two to Dover, one to the lower Huon estuary - and found very little of interest.  A few tiny juvenile cocky salmon at Dover, and zilch flathead. On Wednesday I fished a favourite location near Garden Island, where I've always managed a few flatties this time of year: conditions were nigh on perfect, the solunar tables said it was an excellent fishing day, and yet three and a half hours yielded one undersize flatty and one undersize cocky salmon - and no other sign of fish.

Is anyone else having the same trouble in other places, or am I just fishing in the wrong place(s) at the moment?

stevel

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
  • Liked: 1
gone very quiet
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 07:03:44 pm »
Hi redory
Has been frustrating in Mercury passage as well. Last 2 trips have seen us moving about trying to find flatties.
First resulted in a feed but many places tried, with most fish undersized.
next trip tried many of the usual places before we hit a good spot at the southern end of the passage - returned with good feed in the end.
Have traded salt for fresh and enjoyed a couple of trips to Woods lake, managed 9 fish between us on afternoon & morning fish  - reasonable size and condition.
Recent weather has put pause in fishing
Cheers Steve

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
gone very quiet
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 08:41:45 am »
Thanks Steve - kind of reinforces what I was thinking: might be focusing on the trout lakes and perhaps sea-runners in the Huon for the next few weeks!  (Though with the cost of fuel escalating the way it is, might not have too many long drives - can't b*** afford it!)

Anyone else having the same lean time in the salt, or are you all filling your boats with fish??

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
gone very quiet
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 09:27:09 am »
STILL DAMN QUIET!

Two trips on the Huon since the earlier report - same outcome; no sea-runners, just a couple tiny cocky salmon.  Then last Wednesday, had another go at the salt: this time on North-West Bay.  Clear water, tides just right, weather overcast, water temp 13deg, solunar tables said good day for fishing with high activity between around 10am-12noon.

Started at 7am with low light, chasing squid in a favourite area.  Nothing doing there for an hour and a half.  Then to another favourite spot for flathead: also nothing doing there.  Then across the opposite side of the bay, with a nice breeze for drifting; found an area with clean bottom, to dangle a couple of SPs and things started to happen around 10.30.  Slowly.  And after 2 more hours, the count was 6 flathead, nothing anywhere near takeable size.  Trundled back in around the moored boats on the western side, in hope of Aus salmon - nothing doing there, either. Gave up in disgust about lunch time.

Where are all the bloody fish at the moment?

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2403
  • -Receive: 980
  • Liked: 9
  • Referrals: 2
gone very quiet
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 02:24:39 pm »
Hi Paul, once I get my computer back I'll put a few reports on the site, can't access anything with this little iPad. Hopefully I'll have it back early in the week. I did break the 100 trout mark last week, still 55 trout down for this time last season though, plus having more trouble with the lower back. Have two months of  weekly injections from next Tuesday which will help.
Cheers
Adrian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal