Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: through the passage  (Read 672 times)

zappy

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 13
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 0
through the passage
« on: August 29, 2021, 08:28:14 pm »
Had a trip to Coles bay yesterday left at 4 am got down there about 6 and headed out through the passage , fairly lumpy out there so we trolled to the hen and chickens the headed out to a reef in a hundred meters having never fished it was unshure how we would go . First drift the ol girl got Mr wong (morwong) before I got my line down we caught a few of them before drifting off the reef .Next drift I landed a mr wong dropped it down and as it  hit the bottom nearly had the rod yanked out of my hands , after a bit of a tussle the ultimate prize hit the deck two nice big stripeys   grin1 we had a couple more drifts but could only come up with gurnard so headed back to a closer patch . First drop got a nibble thought it was just gurnard but to my surprise was a pair of flattys in 60 meters of water , we continued to catch a mixture of flattys and mr wongs sometimes one of each on a rig ! of course the gurnard kept coming as well .
well what a day four species of great eating fish and a fair box full of them at that , the only downer was the couple hours drive home but it was certainly worth it  thumbsup1

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 628
  • -Receive: 535
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
through the passage
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 07:28:08 am »
That sounds like a busy day on the water, Zappy:  good going!

You say "four great eating species"  I guess that includes the gurnard.  Which begs the question: were they true gurnard, or those ugly b**tard gurnard perch (that the locals call "Garry gurnard")?  If so, how the hell do you clean and prep them for eating?

zappy

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
through the passage
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 06:08:27 pm »
yes mate was a big day but a good one im not sure about what sort of gurnard they are the pesky one that you catch on the reefs , we keep the bigger ones and I fillet them out and skin them its a small fillet but very tasty . I do use a fairly long knife to fillet them with so the working hand is well away from the spikes , I have had a few nicks just the same luckily with no ill effects but I know its only a matter of time before the inevitable happens .
I have also found the small ones to be good bait if you are running low . Funny for years I was petrified of them and would try to unhook them over the side of the boat with as long of a tool as you could get until I had a trip with a bloke who kept them and fileted them lets say im converted now

proka

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 650
  • -Receive: 409
  • Liked: 1
  • Referrals: 19
    • Fishing Boating Tasmania
through the passage
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 08:09:39 pm »
goodjob1 Zappy. The tuna have gone quiet then by the sounds of it. There’s quite a bit of broken bottom out off the hen & chicks. Hope you were on the egg beaters and not electrics think1

proka

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What has 4,882km's of coastline? think1

zappy

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
through the passage
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 07:26:17 am »
yes Proka the Mrs had an eggbeater and I was using an old 925 alvey the budget wouldnt stretch to electrics , other than that it wouldnt seem right

proka

• Administrator
  • FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 650
  • -Receive: 409
  • Liked: 1
  • Referrals: 19
    • Fishing Boating Tasmania
through the passage
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 08:25:30 pm »
laugh1 laugh1 laugh1