Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Eaglehawk neck  (Read 1916 times)

Imo

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
  • Liked: 0
  • Referrals: 0
Eaglehawk neck
« on: March 18, 2019, 10:56:32 am »
Hi all,

Great morning out on Saturday morning with the better half in the bay at Eaglehawk neck. Plenty of good size duskies on the drift and a few really good southern calamari. Wind got a bit too much (despite the forecast) by midday so we headed back to the jetty where we had a rather frightening encounter with a seal.

This is the email I just sent to Parks and Wildlife about the seal that hangs around the jetty, so beware fellow fishos!!

"I am writing to voice my concern over an incident involving a seal at Eaglehawk neck boat ramp on Saturday. A large seal approached our small boat and immediately began showing aggressive behavior including snarling / baring its teeth. This was extremely intimidating and I firmly believe he would have jumped into our boat and capsized us if we had not quickly motored to the boat ramp. The seal followed us, continuing to make aggressive sounds, all the way to the boat ramp. My wife and I had to jump out of the boat with the seal less than 2 meters away so I could run to the car park to get the trailer, leaving my wife to defend herself with a small mallet against a large seal who was still aggressive and very interested in getting into our boat. We were both extremely frightened.

I could understand if this was an isolated incident with a visiting seal, however I understand this seal is known to the local public as being an aggressive nuisance. After talking to the local charter operators, they too are very concerned about this animal and it has been a problem for some time. I believe the council and/or wildlife authorities are already aware of this seal.

It is my genuine belief that it is only a matter of time before someone is seriously injured or worse if this seal is left to terrorise people within the bay. My hope is that it can be caught and removed from the area"

cal123

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 26
Eaglehawk neck
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 01:47:37 pm »
Hi Imo,

I've had an encounter with that seal too (i reckon it's the same one). He was thrusting out of the water teeth out ready to go for us. Ended up hitting him on the head with a wooden board.

Good times  shark1

Imo

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
Eaglehawk neck
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 02:25:03 pm »
Must be the same seal mate!!

All we had was a small foot long bat I use to knock out fish, I'm sure he was laughing at us. I'll definitely be acquiring something with a bit more length for next trip

Spinksy

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 17
Eaglehawk neck
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 08:02:32 am »
Gee, that doesn't sound like a nice way to end an enjoyable fishing session. I can only imagine it it was me just my two young children in the boat for example. It would be very frightening for them. Hopefully Parks respond to you and take the appropriate action.

rogun

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 64
  • Liked: 1
  • Referrals: 1
Eaglehawk neck
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 05:19:00 pm »
Last year there was one with a Pup right up under the jetty, we were catching Mackeral for bait and the adult frightened the crap out of us when it launched out of the water on high tide onto the lower portion of the landing, I noticed the Pup when I bent down to take off a fish and could see it in the dim shadows.
We didn't hang around long!

Dan

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 93
  • Liked: 1
Eaglehawk neck
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 06:00:35 pm »
He was there last time I went out in a charter probably nearly 12months ago now. There was a guy there chatting to boat owners as they came in trying to convince them not to feed him scraps and frames as it could make him dependant and in turn aggressive.

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2408
  • -Receive: 982
  • Liked: 9
  • Referrals: 2
Eaglehawk neck
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 05:56:22 pm »
Let's hope something is done about in and quickly too.. would hate to see anyone get seriously injured.. even more so if it did decide to launch itself into a small/medium size boat that had children in it let alone adults.. I for one would be worrying each time I launched & returned to that ramp..

cheers
Adrian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal