Hi, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: making the best of it  (Read 248 times)

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 618
  • -Receive: 529
  • Liked: 0
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
making the best of it
« on: September 21, 2021, 09:49:15 am »
This isn't a fishing report, but it sort of is.  I don't know how other members are situated, but I am "retired" - have been for five years - and thus should be able to get out for a fish pretty much any time I fancy it.  The reality is rather different though.  What with diabolical weather (especially the equinoxial gales, that have at least come at the right time this year - they were 6-8 weeks late last year, as I recall), garden jobs, and the fact that as I get older, every darn thing I do takes three times longer than it used to, then the fishing trips are still a matter of "grab it when you can".

Over the past month, I've had:
2 trips to Dover, with loads of tiny cocky salmon and just enough flathead each time for one meal for self and wife;
2 trolling sessions on the lower/mid Huon, with loads of tiny cocky salmon and one sea-runner about 600gm;
1 trip to Craigbored, with water murky and still very cold, and fish aplenty lurking 40 feet deep.  Row-trolled a couple of SPs deep, for loads of little redfin and one rainbow of 500gm.  Redfin went in the box, intending to use as compost for the tomato bed, but when I got home I decided a couple were just big enough to bother filleting and skinning, so we had an entree of reddie that night before our steak. They are quite delicious, though - much similar to whiting, when done gently in a pan in just a bit of butter and squeeze of lemon.

And that was my month.  Retired, and able to fish whenever I choose?  Not quite.

I'd be very interested to hear from some others: what's your take on being "free" and retired?  Do you get out more regularly than me, or is this a common complaint?  What about those of you who aren't yet retired - are you expecting to do better than this, when you do eventually get the chance?

meppstas

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2395
  • -Receive: 976
  • Liked: 9
  • Referrals: 2
making the best of it
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 04:04:55 pm »
I've been retired for 15 years and I hop in a river as often as possible during the trout season, I still fit in a bit of gardening, but if it's hard manual gardening like removing large shrubs etc I have a chap who comes around and does that for me. Thankfully we made our garden as maintenance free as possible with no lawns. I had a late start to this season due to chronic lower back problems something I've had to live with since 1972, but I don't let that stop me unless it gets to a stage when I can hardly walk. It can take me anything from one week to three weeks before I come right to get back in a river, below is what I have achieved since moving to Tassie, it is up to the end of last trout season 2020/21..

** Since moving to Tasmania to live (March 2000) and trout fish I've had 1783 trips to rivers for a  total catch of   9706 brown trout,  986 rainbow trout, 1 brook trout, 3 Atlantic Salmon, 6 blackfish, 6 redfin perch & 3 Australian Grayling. * ** Average for trout caught ( 10,693 in total ) over the 1783 trips =  6.00 (5.99)** 

* PS: I did do quite a bit of rock fishing in the first three years, mainly catching squid, Australian Salmon, Parrot Fish with the odd the odd snapper thrown in.
        Then I decided to just to concentrate on river & stream fishing for trout.

Cheers
Adrian..

« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 04:09:30 pm by meppstas »

Paikea

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 180
  • Referrals: 1
making the best of it
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 02:13:08 pm »
Some record Adrian. That is a Platinum retirement, very envious.

I retired in January 2010 but came back to help an old client for one more job (We assist clients in the building industry to recover added moneys owed to them and to avoid getting charged with Damages). Finally pulled the pin completely in Jan this year.

At 81yo the plan was to go fishing the local river (Port Hacking) every Wednesday or Burrill Lake if we were down at our holiday home.

Unfortunately three total knee replacements and a lower back problem put paid to all that. Presently going through recovery of a Cortisone injection to the nerve at L4/5. Was great for three days but pain is back so looks like a back operation to clear the impingement on the nerve. been trying to avoid that but as it also affects the knees which makes it very painful to walk I don't have a lot of choice. So much for putting off more regular fishing trips until retirement.

My earlier post detailed how I had to sell the new (Stessl) boat that I was going to use in retirement. that was a bugger. I do have a 3.6M, 49KG boat at the holiday home and am hoping to get to use that soon as the back/knee problems are sorted to the point where I can get in and out of it.

I am looking to replace the 8HP 2 stroke Yammie that is fitted to the little boat with a 9.9HP electric start model that will avoid a reoccurrence of a torn rotator cuff some time ago. Should be great if it all comes off.

Fishing the lake I love catching Garfish and big Dusky Flathead. Also found a spot that marked some big fish on the screen but didn't have any lures or live bait. Possibly Jewfish so definitely worth chasing. And we get some big Taylor in the Lake which are great smoked.

I am attaching some pics of Little Gem and another pic that may be of interest.

Cheers all.

PAIKEA

reddory

• FBT Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 618
  • -Receive: 529
  • So much water; so many fish; so little time!
  • Referrals: 0
making the best of it
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 04:37:09 pm »
Mate, your wee boat looks like a real weapon: I really hope you get sorted enough to use it some more.
And I don't reckon you took the last photo in the Burril Lakes - or did you?? (scary thought - pity the site doesn't have a "wetting your pants" emoji!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal